Memorial Day is everyone’s favorite kick off to the summer. Cookouts, family reunions, and activities with the kids make portable Memorial Day Recipes essential. These (mostly) healthy recipes fit the bill, ranging from beverages to Memorial Day desserts. Best of all? These crowd pleasers all feature beautiful ways to showcase the healthy foods of early summer.Read more »
Beverages:Whether you’re sipping iced coffee or staying hydrated with fruit infused water, the right combination will make the ordinary extraordinary. Try a Coconut Iced Mocha for an afternoon pick me up. Or pack up enough of Blackberry Sage Infused Water to keep the crowd hydrated at your next beach party.
Appetizers:The best Memorial Day Recipes for appetizers are portable, easy to prepare, and, of course, delicious. Not too heavy and featuring plenty of fresh produce, here are some of our favorites.
- Greek Salad Skewers: With all the fresh goodness of your favorite Greek Salad in the convenience of a skewer. These round out the barbecue but you might want to save a few for your lunch on Tuesday.
- Golden Goddess Turmeric: Level up your hummus by adding turmeric for a festive color with a nutritional punch. Serve this as a veggie platter with cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, olives, and feta. You’ll please the vegetarians and carnivores alike.
- Portobello Nachos While Portobello Mushrooms are featured here, if you have access to other seasonal mushrooms, this is a fantastic way to showcase them! Roasting the vegetables ahead of time brings out their sweetness, making this appetizer one that will disappear in no time.
- Smoked Salmon and Roasted Zucchini Roll-ups Grab and go meal prep ideas translate well to fresh, no fuss appetizers. This fresh combination is pleasing to the eye and the palate. Need a vegetarian alternative? Spread your roll-ups with this tasty Lemon Goat Cheese spread
- Sausage Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates: While these fall more into the treat category, they’re sure to please the paleo crowd. Fortunately, the chewy sweetness of the dates makes a little bacon go a long way.
Salads:While you could stick to a tossed salad or a quart of potato salad from your local deli, Memorial Day Recipes for salads that are beautiful and delicious will be a showstopper at your next Memorial Day Cookout. Grilling the Potatoes in this Grilled Potato Salad adds a layer of flavor that will have your guests loading their plates. The dressing and bacon can be a bit heavy, so consider adding a few more potatoes to stretch this out. Need a lighter option? Beets are a great workout recovery food and contribute color to your buffet. Try this Beet Wild Rice Salad alongside your favorite grilled beef or mushrooms.
Main Course:In the unlikely event that you find yourself doing something other than grilling, it’s nice to have a Memorial Day Main Course recipe that can be prepared before the guests arrive, feels festive, and will survive hours on the buffet table. This Instant Pot Carnitas fits the bill. It also plays nicely with the fresh salsas and guacamole that are likely to make an appearance.
Dessert:Unless you’re finishing the party with your first root-beer float of the year, the perfect Memorial Day Recipe for dessert should showcase the beautiful and delicious berries that are just starting to come into season. This Shattered Blueberry Yogurt Cake is so stunning and delicious you won’t even notice it’s gluten free. Try garnishing it with a few fresh strawberries for a celebration in red, white and blue. Need another option? Try this nut free, Apple Summer Berry Crumble that is equally comfortable at your next brunch. Sorting out the best recipes and food blogs can be overwhelming. Need some suggestions? Try these recommended food blogs to keep you inspired all summer long!
Make this delicious one ingredient healthy snack to curb your ice cream cravings!
2 - Ripe Bananas (slice them and freeze them prior)
- Add frozen bananas to a food processor
- Turn on processor and begin to blend
- Use a spatula to scrap down the sides of the processor
- Blend until smooth, takes about 4-5 minutes
- Enjoy immediately as a "soft serve" Or put into a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 1 hour
- Add your favorite fruits or nuts
Enjoy this healthy treat!
You can make guacamole healthy by eliminating sour creams and mayonnaise. Try this yummy recipe today!
• 3-4 Ripe Avocados
• Fresh lime juice from 1/2 of a lime
• 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
• Minced onion (purple or red)
• Fresh garlic - grated or passed through a garlic press
• Salt & Pepper to taste
Cut avocados in half and remove pit. Scoop all the flesh out of avocados and place into a bowl. Add lime juice, minced onion, garlic and cilantro into bowl. Mix until combined. Salt & Pepper to taste.
Try this guacamole on cut up veggies, salads or chicken!
Make this healthy version of roasted butternut squash soup. Perfect for any cool fall evening!
• 2 large butternut squash
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• Fresh garlic bulb
• 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
• Salt & Pepper to taste
• Ground nutmeg
Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Prepare a large roasting pan by coating the bottom with olive oil. Cut the squash into halves and clean out seeds. Place squash cut-size down in pan. Prick the outside skin with a sharp knife. Place onion around squash. Cut the top off fresh garlic bulb and drizzle with olive oil. Place garlic in roasting pan. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour until squash is tender. Remove and let cool.
Scrape fresh roasted squash into a large stock pot. Add in the onion and squeeze garlic flesh in as well. Add your chicken or vegetable stock and lime juice into pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Either move contents into a blender or use a hand blender in the stock pot, puree the soup until smooth. Ladle the soup into bowls and season by adding nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a piece of high-fiber or multigrain bread.
Try this recipe with a variety of different squash. They are quite plentiful in the fall season!
Make this healthy easy bake snack!
• Olive Oil
• Whichever spices you want to add (I prefer Spanish Paprika and Sea Salt)
Preheat oven to 375F, slice zucchini thin, place on greased baking sheet.
Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning, and bake for 25-30 minutes.