Can Whole Body Vibration Training Actually Make You Stronger?
Whole Body Vibration is on the verge of changing everything we thought we knew about exercise. This technology which has been utilized in Europe for decades is just starting to break into the mainstream fitness scene in North America.
One question we get a lot is: Will I really get the same results as traditional strength training?
The research seems to indicate that yes you will but even better you will get it in less time with less perceived effort. This last part is one of the most important as perceived effort is how hard you think you are working, the harder you think something is the less likely you are to continue doing it.
Men between the ages of 60-80 were placed in 3 groups.
- • Control group that did nothing
- • A Fit group that performed 1.5 hrs of exercise 3 times a week
- • A WBV group that exercised 40 min 3 times a week
At the end of one year the Fit group and the WBV group had made significant increases in both mass and strength.
The two really interesting things about this study were that the WBV group:
- • Got similar results in about 1/3rd of the time
- • Reported their workouts to be pleasant and they would like to continue after the study was completed.
In the end it is important to work to maintain muscle mass through some form of strength training as decreasing muscle mass is linked to many physical problems associated with aging. WBV provides a quick painless way to accomplish those results.